Baltimore catcher Matt Wieters slugged his second home run of the year Tuesday night as the Orioles beat Tampa Bay, 5-4, in Major League Baseball.
Wieters, the former Stratford High School standout, was 1 for 3 and is now batting .209 for the season.
Here’s how other Lowcountry products in pro baseball fared Tuesday night:
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 5 in the Yankees’ 4-2 win over Arizona. He struck out three times and is batting .240 for the season.
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 1 for 2 with a walk and a strikeout in Seattle’s 6-2 loss to Detroit. The first baseman is batting .204.
In the minors:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island HS, The Citadel) was 1 for 4 with a double and a strikeout against Oklahoma City. The first baseman is batting .239 for the Rangers’ Class AAA team in Round Rock.
• Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 0 for 3 against Sacramento. The second baseman is batting .233 for the Mets’ Class AAA team in Las Vegas.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 1 for 2 against Montgomery, with a single, an RBI and a stolen base. The outfielder is batting .154 for the Diamondbacks’ Class AA team in Mobile.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.