Charleston Police Department Officer Cory Goldstein was suffering at least three bullet wounds, but he still managed to shoot at the man who had opened fire on him during a foot pursuit Saturday night in West Ashley.

Goldstein was hit in the upper chest area of his protective vest, the right thigh and the left hand, according to police supplemental reports released today by the State Law Enforcement Division. He also was grazed in the bicep, a wound doctors later found at the hospital.

Despite his injuries, Goldstein remained standing and trained his handgun on a motorist who had run away from the car he had stopped about 10:30 p.m. at Savannah Highway and Interstate 526.

The suspect had turned on Goldstein during the foot chase, the documents stated, and shot Goldstein behind the Comfort Suites at Sam Rittenberg Boulevard and Savannah Highway. Goldstein then shot the motorist at least twice ­— in left arm and the right leg, the reports stated.

The motorist fell under a tree and remained on the ground until backup officers ran to the scene and handcuffed him.

The officers found a Glock pistol about 4 feet away from the man’s legs, according to the reports. Its slide was locked back, indicating that the handgun had been fired until it was empty.

The suspect later was identified as 26-year-old Mark L. Blake of West Ashley, who faces at least a charge of failing to stop for blue lights. The felon with a history of drug and firearms arrests remained jailed this afternoon.

The reports stated that Goldstein had tried to stop Blake’s red Hyundai rental car at Savannah Highway and Dupont Road, but it didn’t pull over.

When the car entered the ramp to eastbound I-526, it crashed into a guardrail, causing a tire to blow. Its driver then ran southward toward the Comfort Suites, where the shooting occurred.

It was unknown when Blake was expected to go before a magistrate for a bond hearing.

Goldstein underwent surgery during the weekend for bone fractures. His left pinky finger had been broken during the shooting, the reports stated.

He was released from the hospital today.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or