1790: The Charleston Orphan House is founded as the nation’s first municipal orphanage. It served poor white children and also created one of South Carolina’s earliest educational systems.
1791: President George Washington would lay its cornerstone on the Boundary Street site (later renamed Calhoun Street) that once had a Revolutionary-War-era barracks.
1850s: Architects Jones & and Lee remodel the building, creating the grand structure that survives only in old photographs.
1860s: The Orphan House’s enrollment peaks at 334 children shortly after the Civil War.
1948: A Child Welfare League of America is critical of the orphan house’s operation, and its governing commissioners begin to take heed.
1951: The commissioners buy 37 acres of property known as Oak Grove Plantation in North Charleston to relocate the children to a more home-like setting.
1956: The grand Charleston Orphan House building at St. Philip and Coming streets is torn down to build a Sears.
1978: The Orphan House ceases to be a city agency and becomes a nonprofit called the Carolina Youth Development Center.
Today: The center continues to serve children through residential and outreach programs.
The Preservation Society of Charleston, the Carolina Youth Development Center, The Post and Courier
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.