TEDxCharleston reveals speaker list
TEDx Charleston, the local version of the popular Technology, Entertainment and Design conferences, has named the speakers for the May 15 event at Pure Theatre.
• Winslow Hastie, Chief Preservation Officer at Historic Charleston Foundation
• Lua Martin Wells, who works at the Mount Pleasant public library and has a passion for “Unschooling”
• Dave Dawson, president and founder of The Urban Electric Company
• Rev. Bill Stanfield, founder and CEO of the Metanoia Community Development Corporation
• Simran Singh, publisher of 11:11 Magazine and the host of associated radio shows
• Teresa Bruce, former Ogilvy PR executive and writer
• Michael Schmidt, professor and vice chairman of Microbiology and Immunology at MUSC
• Justin Forest Nathanson , filmmaker and video producer
• Jennifer Baker, associate professor of philosophy at the College of Charleston
• Michael Messner, co-manager of Seminole Capital Partners, LP and trustee of The Speedwell Foundation
• Ricky Hacker, chef and co-owner of Extra Virgin Oven (EVO) Pizzeria and Craft Bakery in North Charleston
• Eve Blossom, a trained architect and designer, founded Lulan and WE’VE
• Brendan James, singer and songwriter
• Tiffany Russell, Ph.D., an educator at Georgia State University
The theme of the conference, which is licensed from TED but independently run, is “Reinvent.” Each presenter will talk for 18 minutes.
Organized by local business consultant Edith Howle, TEDx Charleston is now accepting applications for its 100 audience members.
For more information: http://tedxcharleston.org/.
Reach Brendan Kearney at 937-5906 and follow him on Twitter at @kearney_brendan.