Lucas: ‘Star Wars’ trio back for new film
NEW YORK — It appears the Force is still strong with Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.
In an interview posted online Thursday, George Lucas said the trio from the original “Star Wars” trilogy will reprise their roles of Hans Solo, Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia in the new “Star Wars” film.
Lucas told Bloomberg Businessweek that all three were signed for the new “Episode VII” film in advance of Lucasfilm’s $4 billion purchase by Disney.
“We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison, or were pretty much in the final stages of negotiation,” Lucas said.
In an interview posted Wednesday with Florida’s Palm Beach Illustrated, Fisher said that she will be coming back as Princess Leia.
Disney’s Lucasfilm was coy in response. In a statement, a spokesperson for the company said, “George couldn’t say whether they were signed or not and neither can we. As Yoda said, ‘Always in motion is the future.’ Stay tuned.”
The Walt Disney Co. is producing a new “Star Wars” trilogy to take place after Lucas’ original three space epics. J.J. Abrams is directing the first film.
Ford, 70, Hamill, 61, and Fisher, 56, are expected to play smaller, supporting roles.