LONDON (AP) — Cardinal Keith O’Brien says he will be skipping the conclave to elect a successor to Pope Benedict XVI after resigning as archbishop in the wake of misconduct allegations.
The cardinal said in a statement issued Monday that he will not attend because he doesn’t want media attention focused on him during the important session in Rome.
The Vatican confirmed O’Brien had resigned as archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh. It was accepted under the code of canon law for reasons of O’Brien’s age; he turns 75 — the normal retirement age for bishops — on March 17.
He said in a statement that he is in “indifferent health” and that he had offered his resignation last November.
“Looking back over my years of ministry: For any good I have been able to do, I thank God. For any failures, I apologize to all whom I have offended,” he said.
O’Brien has said through his spokesman that he is contesting allegations made Sunday in a British newspaper that three priests and a former priest have filed complaints to the Vatican alleging that the cardinal acted inappropriately with them.
The Observer newspaper did not give the names of the priests, but it said their allegations date back to the 1980s. There were no details about the alleged inappropriate behavior.
The one-sentence Vatican statement issued Monday made no reference to the allegations.
A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, said Sunday the complaints had been channeled through the office of the papal nuncio — the Vatican’s ambassador — in London.
“The pope has been informed, and the question is in his hands,” Lombardi said.
Nicole Winfield in Rome contributed to this report.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.