Katie Couric bedeviled by strange 911 calls
Katie Couric is losing sleep over some odd 911 calls.
New York City police said Thursday they had been called to Couric’s Manhattan home several times recently because of 911 calls traced to a phone listed there. The 911 operator hears only static, but police are compelled to answer each call.
The calls come on Tuesdays at 2 a.m., as Couric told an audience at her talk show’s taping this week.
Police say they are investigating whether something’s wrong with her phone or if Couric is the victim of a high-tech prankster. Couric called New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly to ask advice on what to do, and is awaiting the results of the investigation.
The calls were first reported in a New York Daily News story headlined “Katie’s 911 Hell.”
‘Melrose’ actress gets 3 year in crash
A former “Melrose Place” actress who was drunk when her SUV plowed into a car and killed a woman was sentenced Thursday in Somerville, N.J., to three years in prison, infuriating the victim’s relatives, who had hoped for the 10-year maximum.
“What a travesty!” the victim’s husband, Fred Seeman, yelled after the sentence was read.
“This is not justice,” the victim’s 26-year-old son, Ford Seeman, told the judge before he stormed out of the courtroom.
A jury in November convicted Amy Locane-Bovenizer of vehicular homicide in the 2010 death of 60-year-old Helene Seeman in Montgomery Township.
Locane-Bovenizer will be eligible for parole after 2 1/2 years and will be credited the 81 days she has already served. She also had her license suspended for five years and will be on probation for three years after her release. She must pay several thousand dollars in fines.
Locane-Bovenizer, who didn’t testify at the trial, appeared in 13 episodes of TV’s “Melrose Place” and in movies including “Cry-Baby,” “School Ties” and “Secretary.”
Prosecutors say she was driving with a blood-alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit when her SUV slammed into a Mercury Milan driven by Fred Seeman as he was turning into his driveway. Fred Seeman’s wife, Helene, was killed, and he was seriously injured.
ABC to broadcast Miss America in Atlantic City, NJ
Atlantic City’s casino and tourism industries are providing financial incentives that helped lure the Miss America pageant back to the seaside city where it started 93 years ago.
The pageant returns to Atlantic City in September after spending six years in Las Vegas.
New Jersey Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno announced a three-year deal with pageant officials on Thursday.
Organizers would not reveal terms. But Liza Cartmell, head of the Atlantic City Alliance, says her casino-funded group is among those providing financial incentives to bring the pageant home.
Officials say ABC will broadcast Miss America for the next three years. Dates are not set yet.
The pageant was an Atlantic City fixture until 2006 when organizers moved it to Las Vegas in hopes of attracting a younger TV audience.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.