Firefighters extinguish flames at East Bay home

Charleston firefighters put out flames at a home on East Bay Street this morning.

The fire started in a bathroom at 617 East Bay Street, Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said.

A ceiling exhausted fan may have malfunctioned, causing fire and smoke damage, Julazadeh said.

One family was displaced because of the fire and Julazadeh said the Housing Authority and Red Cross were notified.

Firefighters returned to the home later in the morning after smoke from smoldering debris was found in the attic, Julazadeh said.

Traffic was blocked for a brief period of time as firefighters cleared the scene, but all roads have since reopened, Julazadeh said.

See news happening in your neighborhood? Send us your news tips, photos and videos by email to crimenews@postandcourier.com or call (843) 937-5581.

Comments { }

Postandcourier.com is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Postandcourier.com does not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not postandcourier.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full Terms and Conditions.