Gene Sapakoff: 5 reasons why South Carolina will defeat Michigan in the Outback Bowl
South Carolina last season showed it can win a New Year’s Day bowl game in Florida against a Big Ten team.
Five reasons why the No. 11 Gamecocks will beat No. 19 Michigan today (28-17):
1. QB options. Even if Connor Shaw struggles, Clemson-killer Dylan Thompson might not. Or vice versa. This sort of quarterback option is a South Carolina first for Steve Spurrier.
2. Clowney. No player has been as hyped this bowl season, and for good reason. We are watching Jadeveon on the way to NFL riches in the 2014 draft.
3. Offensive line. Underrated, and a big reason why the Gamecocks kept Clemson off the field for most of South Carolina’s 27-17 victory in November.
4. Senior class. D.J. Swearinger, DeVonte Hollomon, Shaq Wilson, T.J. Johnson and pals want to go out in style.
5. 11 again. The 11-win goal, while achieved for the first time in 2011, is no minor goal for South Carolina.
Reach Gene Sapakoff at 937-5593 or on Twitter @sapakoff