A judge Tuesday reduced Kenneth Boone’s bail to $175,000 in connection with arson charges that police said should help people “breathe easier” about the downtown Charleston firesetting spree.
After the hearing, one of Boone’s lawyers, David Aylor, said he was concerned that area leaders implied that his client was connected to the rash of arsons.
More than 80 suspicious fires have been set in a relatively small area of the peninsula during the past decade. Aylor noted that the fires Boone has been charged with were outside this area. He added that his client was “scared and anxious, and very concerned about the well-being of his parents.”
Boone, 55, is charged in connection with two arsons in Hollywood and one downtown at 48 Montagu St. He also is charged with soliciting someone to help set a fire.
Affidavits in the case state that an informant told investigators that Boone solicited his cooperation in setting the Montagu Street fire on Dec. 10, 2010, so that he could profit from the repairs afterward.
Associate Chief Magistrate James B. Gosnell Jr. lowered Boone’s bail from $225,000 to $175,000. If released, Boone would be placed under house arrest and required to wear satellite monitoring gear.
City and county leaders announced Boone’s arrest at a news conference last month.
Notice about comments: