- Fear the Turtle. Good school, smart people. Maryland doesn’t make a Big Ten move without a cash-flow chart.
- BCS bonanza. The ACC lucked out with Virginia Tech invited to the Sugar Bowl last year and might get Clemson an at-large ticket to New Orleans this year.
- Tajh Boyd. Tigers QB coming off his first 100-yard rushing game, though he was left in a 62-48 win over N.C. State a little too long for good health.
- Georgia Tech. Left for wounded after that 41-17 thumping applied by BYU but three wins in a row and an ACC Championship Game berth.
- Connor Vernon. Senior wide receiver (64 catches, 5 TDs) a steady spark in David Cutcliffe’s Duke offense.
- Bowl exposure. Virginia Tech (vs. Virginia) and Wake Forest (vs. Vanderbilt) must win to gain bowl eligibility. Otherwise, the ACC with North Carolina and Miami banned has only five bowl-eligible teams, the fewest since 2000.
- Jeer the Turtle. League loyalty was suspect when only Maryland and Florida State voted against the “$50 million buyout.”
- Clemson kick coverage. Allowed 277 yards to N.C. State’s Tobias Palmer last week.
- Miami. Self-imposed bowl ban costs valuable extra practice/development time.
- BCS bust? What if Florida defeats Florida State, South Carolina beats Clemson and Georgia Tech wins the ACC Championship Game? It’s a stinker of an Orange Bowl with the Seminoles and Tigers left for sub-BCS bowls.
Follow Gene Sapakoff on Twitter @sapakoff.