GASTONIA, N.C. -- The first lawsuits seeking to establish liability for a fatal outbreak of E. coli bacteria at the Cleveland County Fair are in the courts.
The families of 5-year-old Hannah Roberts of Gastonia and 18-month-old Isaac Dover of Cherokee County, S.C., are suing the eventís operator. The civil complaint was filed this week in Gaston County.
The lawsuit states that both children became ill a few days after attending the fair last month and developed a potentially life-threatening condition that can cause kidney failure.
The fairís lawyers had no comment.
North Carolina health officials said a petting zoo was the center of the E.coli outbreak, and rainy weather helped spread the bacteria to areas away from the animals.
More than 100 people became sick and a 2-year-old from Gastonia died.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.