BY GENE SAPAKOFF
- Johnny Football. Johnny Manziel with the Texas A&M upset at Alabama leaps into second place on many Heisman Trophy ballots - including mine- behind K-State’s Collin Klein.
- BRUCE! South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington (Berkeley High School) has back-to-back 100-yard receiving games, each with a touchdown.
- Mark Snyder. Who? Yeah, the most underrated assistant coach in the SEC might be Texas A&M’s defensive coordinator.
- Vanderbilt. Already 6-4 and with Tennessee and Wake Forest remaining. Looking like the best season since 1982, when the Commodores finished 8-4 with a Hall of Fame Bowl loss to Ken Hatfield’s Air Force Falcons.
- Bobby Petrino. Ex-Arkansas head coach is poised to jump back into the league. “I just know this, that he’s interested in Kentucky,” his father told USA Today. “He wants to stay in the SEC. That was his life’s goal was to go to the SEC.”
- BCS Championship Game. SEC might be left out for the first time in seven years, unless …
- Cheering for Lane Kiffin. Ugh! SEC national title shot might hinge on Lovable Lane and his SoCal Trojans coming through against Notre Dame.
- Jeff Driskel. Injured Florida Gators quarterback won’t play this week against the Gamecocks. The Jacksonville State Gamecocks.
- Twitter. Steve Spurrier’s ban on player tweets is understandable. But it’s been fun these last three years following Gamecock baseball players.
- Hogs. Arkansas goes from preseason BCS contender to 4-6 with faint bowl hopes. Latest mishap: three-turnover performance at Williams-Brice.
Follow Gene Sapakoff on Twitter @sapakoff