After he cut his electronic ankle monitor, a murder suspect out on bail called his children’s mother and threatened to beat her up, slash her tires and break her windows, according to a police report.

The Charleston Police Department started investigating the complaint Oct. 24, four days after 29-year-old Travaris Walker fled from authorities.

Walker, who faces charges in connection with a kidnapping and homicide last year, was caught Oct. 26 in Georgia.

But in the six days Walker was on the lam, his former girlfriend told authorities that she feared for her life.

The 26-year-old woman, who has three children in common with Walker, told the police that she received threatening phone calls three times on the morning of Oct. 24.

The caller said he would come to her workplace, a Wendy’s restaurant on Folly Road, and kill her and damage her car, according to the incident report.

He also threatened to go to her home in downtown Charleston and “break out the windows and cause a scene to the point of her getting into trouble with housing to have her kicked out,” the report stated.

During the woman’s interview with a police officer, he called again and apologized, but then said, “when you slip up, I’m going to whip” you.

The police officer also noted a text message on the woman’s phone that said he would “beat her like Rodney King” when he finds her alone.

The woman told the police that she was a co-signer on Walker’s bond that allowed him to be released while awaiting trial on charges of fatally shooting Marquis Rashad Richardson, 25, in the head Dec. 19 in Lincolnville after Walker and three others allegedly abducted Richardson.

“The victim feels that the offender has nothing to lose and will attempt to make contact with her in order to carry out the actions,” the report stated.

The Bull Street man’s disappearance has been one of several cases that points out flaws in the electronic monitoring system, according to prosecutors.

In one recent case, murder suspect Donyell “Cross-eyed Donnie” Wright was reportedly spotted on the streets of Charleston by the victim’s family while he was on strict house arrest. Wright denied that was the case, but neither he nor prosecutors have been able to get records from his satellite monitoring company to show if he’s telling the truth or not.

In a separate case, records showed another murder defendant, Robert Fields of West Ashley, was off the monitoring grid for 12 days because his monitoring unit’s battery died and no one alerted authorities, prosecutors said.

A judge issued a moratorium Sept. 7 on placing future defendants on the devices and later said she would stiffly penalize companies that don’t properly report violations.

Reach Andrew Knapp at 937-5414 or