Generator fumes most likely caused deaths of two found in Summerville house
Fumes from a generator remain the most likely cause of death after two bodies were found inside a Summerville house Wednesday, Dorchester County Coroner Chris Nisbet said today.
Itís a reminder that a generator should not be never be placed inside a house, he said.
The bodies of Eric Scotts Yates and Kristina Marie Smith, both 31, were discovered about 5 p.m. Wednesday inside a house at 113 Lenwood Drive. Police said the house had no electricity and a generator was inside.
An autopsy revealed that Yates and Smith died early Tuesday morning, Nisbet said. They appear to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning or asphyxiation, although that canít be confirmed until the State Law Enforcement Division releases the toxicology report in a couple weeks, he said.
A generator placed too close to a window can also prove fatal if the fumes get inside, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Generators produce carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal in an enclosed space.
Friends started a Facebook page for Yates called RIPEricYates. The page had 380 Likes today.
Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553 or twitter.com/dmunday.