Gene Sapakoff: SEC football Best and Worst of Week 10 – Lattimore tribute, Clowney hero act
- Sam Montgomery. Classy LSU defensive end from Greenwood wanted to wear No. 21 vs. Alabama as a tribute to his Palmetto State pal Marcus Lattimore but must stick with No. 99. Will settle for No. 21 on his arm pads.
- Georgia D. Called out as “soft” by Dawgs safety Shawn Williams, Georgia stuffed Florida, 17-9. Head coach Mark Richt’s first words after the game: “I’d say we’re not soft.”
- Clowney (again). JD proves himself SEC MVP worthy with nick-of-time forced fumble against Tyler Bray and the Vols to save 38-35 victory for the Gamecocks.
- Texas A&M offense. Not just Johnny “Football” Manziel; the Aggies are third in the nation in scoring at 45.5 points per game, and two touchdowns away from having a perfect record going to Mississippi State.
- Gus Malzahn. Took a lot of heat late last season but who’s laughing now? Gene Chizik is 1-7, Cam Newton is 1-6 and Malzhan has Arkansas State 5-3 overall and 3-1 in the Sun Belt Conference with three straight wins. Also, Arkansas State’s 57-34 loss at Oregon looks more impressive by the week.
- CBS. Snagging an 8 p.m. time slot for Bama-LSU seemed smart. But Tide opened as an 8-point favorite and it’s up to 9.5 or 10 in what might be a rout.
- Gamecocks pass defense. 381 yards vs. Tennessee.
- Arkansas. Road to bowl eligibility got tougher with a 30-27 home loss to Ole Miss. Now the Razorbacks (3-5) must win three of their last four (Tulsa, at South Carolina, at Mississippi State, LSU).
- War Eagle. Not just the coaching staff on the hot seat, now it’s reportedly the AD, too. Ideal time for a visit from 1-7 New Mexico State, isn’t it?
- Media vs. Nick Saban. Always a dull moment. This week on a conference call Yahoo’s esteemed Pat Forde tried telling Saban that some people consider the Alabama head coach “curmudgeonly.” Saban: “Thanks for the insight.”
Follow Gene Sapakoff on Twitter @sapakoff