Iím 58 years old and donít have a family history of any kind of cancer in my family. I always have a yearly mammogram and do monthly self-checks.
The weekend after the Fourth of July, my husband and I had been out enjoying our Jet Ski. Later that week, I noticed an ugly raw spot on my right nipple about half an inch long and quarter inch deep. I thought it was from being out in the water so long. I put antibacterial cream on it and bandaged it. Two weeks later, it was still there.
I made an appointment as soon as possible to see my OB/GYN. She didnít like the looks of it and made an appointment for me to go to The Breast Place near Trident. I wasnít worried at the time. When I went in, my doctor didnít like the looks of it and did a biopsy right then. Now I started to get a little worried. The next day she called and said it was cancer. I was in shock. How could it be cancer?
A week of testing and I was diagnosed with Pagetís disease of the breast, a rare form of cancer. No lumps, no anything other than that spot on my nipple.
On Aug. 14, I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. On Sept. 4, I had to go back in the hospital for an infection. I am home now treating my infection with infusion antibiotics.
I worry if something else will go wrong and when my surgeries to reconstuct will be done.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.