The federal government has accepted North Charleston’s $2 million offer to buy the former Charleston Naval Hospital on Rivers Avenue, across from a shopping center the city is working to redevelop.
The U.S. General Services Administration had earlier rejected the city’s high bid for the 10-story hospital building and 24 acres of land, saying the city’s nearly $1.95 million bid in an online auction did not meet the minimum price sought by the government.
North Charleston City Council on Thursday authorized Mayor Keith Summey’s administration to raise the city’s offer slightly, and the GSA accepted that $2 million offer, city spokesman Ryan Johnson said today.
Summey said the city has no immediate plans for the hospital property, but wants control over what happens on the site.
One member of council, Ed Astle, had opposed making a higher offer and worried that the city would be purchasing “a money pit.”
According to Summey the federal government has been paying $1.2 million yearly for security guards, heating and cooling for the hospital, which was shut down two years ago. Astle was worried about the city taking on those expenses.
Read more in Wednesday’s editions of The Post and Courier. Follow David Sladeon Twitter @DSladeNews.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.