Iím 58 years old and donít have a family history of any kind of cancer. I always have a yearly mammogram and do monthly self checks.

The weekend after the 4th of July, my husband and I had been out enjoying our power ski. Later that week, I noticed an ugly raw spot on my right nipple about half an inch long and quarter inch deep. I thought it was from being out in the water so long. I put antibacterial cream on it and bandaged it. Two weeks later, it was still there.

I made an appointment as soon as possible to see my OB/GYN. She didnít like the looks of it and made an appointment for me to go to The Breast Place near Trident. I wasnít worried at the time.

On July 11, when I went in, my doctor didnít like the looks of it and did a biopsy right then. I started to get a little worried. The next day, she called and said it was cancer. I was in shock. How could it be cancer?

A week of testing, and I was diagnosed with Pagetís disease of the breast, a rare form of cancer. No lumps, no anything other than that spot on my nipple.

On Aug. 14, I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction. On Sept. 4, I had to go back in the hospital for an infection. I am home now treating my infection with infusion antibiotics. I worry if something else will go wrong and when my reconstruction surgeries will be done.

Mary Brennan

Summerville