Man found guilty of sexually assaulting multiple family members
A 47-year-old North Charleston man accused of sexually assaulting five victims over the course of three decades was found guilty and sentenced to 60 years in jail today.
The jury found Alan Burns guilty on all 12 counts of criminal sexual conduct and committing a lewd act on a minor after more than three hours of deliberations.
Some of the alleged victims of the abuse came forward with their claims in 2010 and 2011, records filed in the 9th Judicial Circuit in Charleston show.
The case has divided the family, and court security was called today to break up a spat that erupted outside the courthouse as the family left the building.
Burns was arrested in 2010 after a family member, now an adult, told police he was sexually assaulted in 1997 and 1998. Other abuse occurred between 1981 and 1983, when Burns allegedly sexually assaulted another family member.
Another female victim, who also came forward last year, said Burns assaulted her between 1982 and 1984.
Burns, who is represented himself, is a registered sex offender.
A filing from 2002 shows that Burns was accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl while she washed clothes at his house in January of that year.
He is being held in the Cannon Detention Center.
Read more in Saturday’s editions of The Post and Courier.