Hebrew Orphan Society donates to Kosher Food Pantry
The Hebrew Orphan Society recently donated several large cartons of food and nearly $400 in cash to Charleston Jewish Federationís Kosher Food Pantry.
The Society is focusing on community service projects this year under the leadership of President Ellis Kahn.
The Hebrew Orphan Society was founded in 1801. Its original mission was to educate, clothe and support orphans and poor children.
Today, the 36-member group makes grants to nonprofit charitable organizations in accordance with the wishes of the founders.
In addition, because of a sizable gift by Dr. N. Edward Miles, it also provides annual scholarships for recipients to institutions of higher education.