Dog saves Awendaw residents from fire
With a fire spreading in their homeís attic, Awendaw residents were awakened by their dog even as smoke alarms were sounding early this morning.
The blaze that was reported about 4:30 a.m. destroyed the home at Doar Road and George Washington Place.
The two residents who were sleeping in a bedroom at the time managed to escape through a window, Fire Chief Tommy Norris said. Paramedics helped the woman, who was distraught, he said.
It was not immediately known whether the homeowners had insurance.
The dog is a Jack Russell Terrier, according to a neighbor.
It took crews about 30 minutes to control the flames and another hour to entirely extinguish them, Norris said. Mount Pleasant firefighters assisted in the effort.
Norris said smoke alarms were working but that they didnít wake the residents.
The cause of the fire and exactly where it started were not immediately known, Norris said.
Contact Knapp at 937-5414 or firstname.lastname@example.org.