It’s an especially happy New Year for one Goose Creek family.
Zach Szala, 8, went home from Medical University Hospital on Friday night.
Zach, the son of Elizabeth and Anthony Szala, had been in the hospital since Nov. 23, when he was bitten twice by a rattlesnake at Wannamaker County Park.
The venom caused temporary paralysis from the neck up and Zach spent more than three weeks in intensive care, where he was on a respirator and feeding tube.
Since Dec. 15, he has regained feeling in his face and is able to open his eyes, speak, and eat on his own.
At home, Zach chose to sleep on the family’s couch Friday night because he wanted to be near their Christmas tree.
“Everything is going well,” Anthony Szala said. “We are waiting to hear back from the hospital about the route they want to take about therapy, but until then, we are going to enjoy each other.”
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.