Lowcountry schools will welcome students back from their summer break next week, and parents can find free school supplies at a number of community events.
• Hootie's Homegrown Roundup Event today from 1-4 p.m. at Burns Elementary School, 3750 Dorchester Road. Kindergarten through fifth-grade students at Burns, Midland Park, Chicora and Mary Ford Elementary schools are invited to the roundup to receive a free bookbag, T-shirt, shoes, haircut, dental and eye exams and school supplies. The district's community education department and the Hootie & the Blowfish band will host the event.
• Free clothing and school supplies today at 5 p.m. at Park Circle Presbyterian in North Charleston; Thursday and Friday at 5 p.m. and Saturday at 9:30 a.m. at Westminster Presbyterian in West Ashley. A partnership of Presbyterian churches will distribute free clothing, including two pairs of pants, two shirts, socks and other articles, and school supplies.
• Operation Homefront-South Carolina will be held Thursday from 3 to 6 p.m. at The Citadel, 171 Moultrie St. Volunteers will distribute 100 backpacks filled with school supplies to local military children.
• It's Cool to Be in School on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum's exhibit hall, 5001 Coliseum Drive. The North Charleston Police Department, a community panel and local ministers will offer free school supplies and other donated items.
• First Day Festival on Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. at Liberty Square at the South Carolina Aquarium and the Charleston Maritime Center. The city-sponsored, seventh annual event offers free school supplies, entertainment, free aquarium tours and information for families.
• Back-to-School Bash on Aug. 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the downtown Food Lion, 1015 King St. The event sponsored by Free and Accepted Ancient York Masons and Order of the Eastern Stars, the Father-to-Father Project, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Trident Technical College will offer students school supplies, food, drinks, a jump castle and games.