This is one of Charleston's oldest surviving sweet shops, a gable front shop built before 1860. Robert Behre/Staff
This shop has been owned by the Smith family for more than a century, and it has been used a mercantile store, a novelty shop and (currently) the Rastafarian medicinal shop, Healing of the Nation.
This corner shop at 57 1/2 Carolina St. was built around 1922 but has stood vacant for almost a decade. It once housed the "Bunny Hop Sweet Shop." Robert Behre/Staff
This concrete block mid-block shop was built around 1950 at 221 Coming St, and its new use shows the resurgence in popularity with some of these sweet shops. Robert Behre/Staff
This "sweet shop" at Lee St. is of the corner shop variety. Its signs show it recently was used to sell sandwiches and snacks.
This Line Street shop occupies an area between two single houses where one normally would find a driveway or garden.
This bakery at 59 1/2 Cannon St. is an example of a three-bay shop, which is similar to a mid-block shop but larger. It's defined by a window-door-window facade. Robert Behre/Staff
This concrete block shop was built around 1940 once was flanked by two single houses (now both gone). The former barber shop now houses Cathy's First Class Cuts.
This gable-front shop at 160 1/2 Smith St. was built around 1890 and once was used as a grocery store. Robert Behre/Staff
This restaurant at 8-D Line St. is an example of an attached shop, one of the five types of sweet shops found in Charleston. Robert Behre/Staff
This wood-frame pizzaria at 212 Rutledge Ave. is an example of a mid-block sweet shop. Built around 1905, it has housed a beauty shop, plumbing business, ice cream bar. It's now a pizza restaurant. Robert Behre/Staff