A fire damaged several apartments near the Medical University of South Carolina early Tuesday.
Crews were called to a 10-unit row house at 130 Bull St. about 2:45 a.m. The area is between Ashley and Rutledge avenues.
A resident called 911 at 2:45 a.m. after smelling smoke, and the first crew was on scene at 2:50 a.m., Ryan Kunitzer with the Charleston Fire Department said. Residents were evacuated while firefighters handled the blaze.
Damage was contained mainly to the first floor, with minimal fire extention to the second and third floors through the wall spaces and heavy smoke damage throughout, Kunitzer said.
The fire started in a kitchen after an electric stove was left on overnight and ignited materials left on the stove, Kunitzer said. No injuries were reported.
Reach Dave Munday at 937-5553.