If you go
A wreath-laying service will be held today at Patriots Point to honor the 25 South Carolina men who were killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941.
This year marks the 72nd anniversary since the Japanese attack. Saturday's service will be held at 11 a.m. at the Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum in Hangar Bay 3.
Scheduled speakers include Capt. Timothy Sparks and Dee Kirby, a representative from the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors.
Survivors of the attack also are expected to attend, according to Patriots Point. The event is free, though parking costs $5.
EDITOR'S NOTE - On Dec. 7, 1941, Eugene Burns, AP's chief of bureau in Honolulu, couldn't get out the urgent news of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which drew the U.S. into World War II, because the military had already taken control of all communication lines. In Washington, AP editor William Peacock and staff got word of the attack from President Franklin D. Roosevelt's press secretary. In the language and style used by journalists of his era, including the use of a disparaging word to describe the Japanese that was in common use, Peacock dictated the details of the announcement. Seventy-two years after their original publication, the AP is making the dispatches available to its subscribers.
WASHINGTON - White House says Japs attack Pearl Harbor.
WASHINGTON, Dec. 7 (AP) - President Roosevelt said in a statement today that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, from the air.
The attack of the Japanese also was made on all naval and military "activities" on the island of Oahu.
The president's brief statement was read to reporters by Stephen Early, presidential secretary. No further details were given immediately.
At the time of the White House announcement, the Japanese ambassadors, Kichisaburo Nomura and Saburo Kurusu, were at the State Department.
WASHINGTON - Second air attack reported on Army and Navy bases in Manila.
First lead Japanese
WASHINGTON, Dec. 7 - (AP) - Japanese air attacks on the American naval stronghold at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and on defense facilities at Manila were announced today by the White House.
Only this terse announcement came from President Roosevelt immediately, but with it there could be no doubt that the Far Eastern situation had at last exploded, that the United States was at war, and that the conflict which began in Europe was spreading over the entire world.
This disclosure had been accepted generally as an indication this country had all but given up hope that American-Japanese difficulties, arising from Japan's aggression in the Far East, could be resolved by ordinary diplomatic procedure.
BULLETINSecond lead Japanese
WASHINGTON, Dec. 7 - (AP) - Japanese airplanes today attacked American defense bases at Hawaii and Manila, and President Roosevelt ordered the Army and Navy to carry out undisclosed orders prepared for the defense of the United States.
Announcing the president's action for the protection of American territory, Presidential Secretary Stephen Early declared that so far as is known now the attacks were made wholly without warning - when both nations were at peace - and were delivered within an hour or so of the time that the Japanese ambassador had gone to the State Department to hand to the secretary of state Japan's reply to the secretary's memo of the 26th.
FILE - In this Dec. 7, 1941 file photo provided by the U.S. Navy, sailors stand among wrecked airplanes at Ford Island Naval Air Station as they watch the explosion of the USS Shaw in the background, during the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Saturday marks the 72nd anniversary of the attack that brought the United States into World War II. (AP File Photo)×
FILE - In this Nov. 9, 2013 file photo released by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) and distributed Nov. 30, 2013 by the Korea News Service, U.S. citizen Merrill Newman, 85, reads a document, which North Korean authorities say was an apology that Newman wrote and read in North Korea. North Korea said Saturday Dec. 7, 2013, that it has deported the elderly U.S. tourist and war veteran detained for more than a month for alleged hostile acts against the country. (AP Photo/KCNA via KNS)×
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.