Handyman tips

  • Posted: Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Q. What do you recommend for the best hardwood floor protection furniture pads? We use felt pads cut to the size of the furniture leg and then stick them on. After a while, they fall off or get clogged with dirt and dog fur.

A. You can find good foot pads at any hardware store. The best are round or square plastic rubberized cups that will do the trick. Good for tapered round legs are crutch ends that fit tightly on any round leg, tapered or not.

Q. The two faucets of my upstairs shower don’t work very well. I turn on the shower and it works well enough for a few minutes, but then it fades away to nothing, returning later. How can I fix it?

A. It may be a faulty washer, which swells up from the hot water, plugging itself. Try replacing all washers. It also might be variations in pressure. Have a plumber put in an anti-scald, one-handle shower. It will save water and last years.

New York Times

Comments { }

Postandcourier.com is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Postandcourier.com does not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not postandcourier.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full Terms and Conditions.