GREENVILLE, S.C. - A 12-year-old boy was charged with involuntary manslaughter Friday in the shooting death of a 15-year-old boy at his Greenville home earlier this month.
The charge is based on physical evidence from the Sept. 11 shooting of Trayvon Dodd, Greenville County Master Deputy Jonathan Smith said.
“We have had little cooperation from the 12-year-old or his family,” Smith said.
Paramedics found Dodd dead from a single gunshot wound in the backyard of the boy’s home. Deputies have released few details about the shooting, and Smith refused to talk about the physical evidence that led to Friday’s charge.
The gun was in the house legally, and additional charges against anyone else are not likely, Smith said.
The boy’s name was not released because he is being charged as a juvenile. He has been taken into custody and will be held until a Family Court hearing Monday.
The involuntary manslaughter charge was filed because while the shooting involved negligence, the 12-year-old boy didn’t intend to kill Dodd, Smith said.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.