A man has pleaded guilty to charges in the wounding of a 17-year-old during a 2011 drive-by shooting in North Charleston.

Devante Rashard Jenkins, 20, of North Charleston, pleaded guilty Thursday in Charleston County General Sessions Court to first-degree assault and battery, according to court records. He originally was charged with attempted murder.

Circuit Judge Thomas Hughston sentenced him to five years in prison but suspended that sentence to just over 21/2 years. Jenkins was granted credit for the 21/2 years he already served. He also was sentenced to two years of probation.

On March 14, 2011, North Charleston police were sent to the EMS station at 3565 Dorchester Road about 7:30 p.m. for a report of a shooting. Paramedics told police they saw someone in a black sport utility vehicle fire at least three shots at a 17-year-old walking down the road, according to an incident report.

Police eventually located a shooting victim at a hospital; he had been shot in the thigh. He told investigators that he and two friends were at a gas station when an SUV with about five men inside pulled in, and the SUV occupants tried to start a conversation. The victim said he and his two friends started walking down Dorchester Road and the SUV followed them, according to an incident report.

The teen and his friends saw a gun coming out of a rear passenger window and shots were fired, one of which struck the 17-year-old in the leg, the report said.

Two others also were charged in connection to the shooting. Zakei Holmes, 22, of North Charleston, who had been charged with attempted murder, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of first-degree assault and battery in November. He was sentenced to three years in prison, but it was suspended to cover the time he already had served. He also was sentenced to two years on probation.

Michael Harrison, 21, of North Charleston, was charged with attempted murder. His case remains pending.

Reach Natalie Caula at 937-5594 or Twitter.com/ncaula.