SEC storylines, Week 2:
1. Jadeveon Clowney vs. David Pollack, and other critics. ESPN’s young Mr. Pollack was particularly critical of Clowney’s effort last week against North Carolina. Clowney, asked about the comments, said the scoreboard is the most important thing. What timing! Pollack played at Georgia, Saturday’s first stop on the Clowney redemption tour.
2. Johnny Big Mouth. Johnny Manziel, for better or worse, continues to be the most flamboyant player in college football. Can’t wait for next week against Alabama.
3. Sunshine Statement. Florida is a 3-point favorite in what should be an entertaining game at Miami on Saturday at high noon. Florida is picked to challenge for the SEC East title and Miami was the ACC Football Kickoff pick to face Clemson in the ACC Championship Game. But after Florida State’s impressive performance at Pittsburgh behind redshirt freshman quarterback Jameis Winston, the loser of this game is suddenly the third-best team in the state.
4. Strange week at Auburn. Gus Malzahn left his offensive coordinator gig on The Plains to become head coach at Arkansas State, which went 10-3 in 2012. Then after one season in Jonesboro, he jumped back to Auburn as head coach. Arkansas State plays this week at Auburn, where the pointspread has jumped by (at least) a touchdown to 13 in just a few days. The Tigers better not lose.
5. Big, bad Bobby Petrino. The disgraced former Arkansas and Atlanta Falcons head coach looks to go 2-0 in the SEC East this week. Petrino’s Western Kentucky Hilltoppers downed Kentucky, 36-26, last week and play at Tennessee on Saturday. Hiring Petrino was an easy call, Western Kentucky Athletic Director Todd Stewart told David Climer of Nashville’s The Tennessean this week. “We could have 10 more coaching searches over the next 40 years and not have a résumé like this one,” Stewart said.
The Clowney Meter
Terrible teams with the best chance of selecting South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney with the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft:
1. New York Jets
2. Oakland Raiders
3. Jacksonville Jaguars
4. Tennessee Titans
5. Arizona Cardinals
Follow Gene Sapakoff on Twitter @sapakoff