A scream followed by a pop — that’s what witnesses have told North Charleston police they heard in the deadly shooting of a woman in the Tanger Outlet shopping complex Monday night.

To help

North Charleston police have asked anyone with information on the Monday shooting at Tanger Outlet to contact them.

A police report described the suspects as:

A white male, stocky build, 6 feet tall, wearing a powder blue shirt and khaki pants.

A white female, early 20s, 5 feet tall, wearing a black or blue camisole and shorts.

A white male, late teens, wearing a black hat.

To help, contact North Charleston police, 554-5700, or Crimestoppers, 554-1111.

Pamelia Gravely, 41, of Myrtle Beach , died at the scene, the Charleston County Coroner’s Office reported Monday evening.

Police described Gravely as a transient resident of an area motel who has an escort profile on backpage.com. They added that she “was not in the area to patronize any of the retail establishments.”

Officers were dispatched to the popular outdoor mall on Tanger Outlet Boulevard about 11 p.m. concerning one person being wounded in a shooting, police spokesman Spencer Pryor said. When officers arrived they found a woman dead in the road, he said.

Several witnesses told police they saw a man and woman approach the gunshot victim from behind, followed by the pop of a shot being fired. The duo then ran from the shooting scene toward Hotel Road, carrying a bag believed to have been taken from the victim, police said.

The two people got into a sport utility vehicle driven by a second man and rode away, Pryor said.

“At this point in the investigation there is no information that this was a random attack,” police said in a statement.

James Sutton, of Washington, D.C., was staying at the nearby Fairfield Inn and Suites when the shooting occurred.

Sutton said he knew something was wrong when he saw police, firefighters and paramedics surrounding a section of the shopping center near the hotel. At first he assumed that flames had been reported at the hotel, but learned differently through news reports, Sutton said.

“The whole area was cordoned off,” he said. “We could see police shaking people down in every direction.”

“It had to be an impulse thing,” Sutton said of the shooting.

“It’s such a silly area to pull over and shoot somebody.”

Stores across from where the shooting occurred were closed, Sutton said, so there wasn’t much of a reason for anyone to linger in that area.

The incident remains under investigation, Pryor said.

Reach Bo Petersen at 937-5744, @bopete on twitter or Bo Petersen Reporting on Facebook.

Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.