Domoneik Antwan Washington will spend at least the next 17 years in prison following his conviction this week on charges related to a 2011 shooting at a Kangaroo store on James Island.

A Charleston County jury on Wednesday found Washington, 27, guilty of two counts of attempted murder and one count of assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said Friday.

Circuit Court Judge Deadra L. Jefferson sentenced Washington to 20 years on each count to be served concurrently. He will have to serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before being eligible for parole, Wilson said.

Attempted murder carries a maximum sentence of 30 years while assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature carries a maximum sentence of 20 years, the solicitor said.

“This was a difficult case made even more difficult by the fact that one witness was dead, another refused to cooperate in any manner and a third witness was less than forth-coming,” said Chief Deputy Solicitor Bruce DuRant.

“In the end, the clerk from the Kangaroo really stood strong and brought us the conviction. Without brave witnesses like her being willing to help us, we cannot keep criminals off the streets,” he said.

After the shooting on March 30, 2011, Washington fled to Danville, Va., where he was apprehended by the U.S. Marshall’s Fugitive Task Force on May 16, 2011, and returned to South Carolina.

The shooting at approximately 2:45 a.m. at the Kangaroo appeared to be the result of a fight at a nearby nightclub earlier in the evening.

At the convenience store, Washington, armed with a semi-automatic pistol, discharged several rounds into a Chevrolet Impala occupied by Antwan Wilson, Ronald Bryant and Edward Wittrell, the solicitor said.

Antwan Wilson, the driver of the Impala, was shot in the right thigh but was able to get the car started and drive away from the Kangaroo. While en route to the hospital to seek treatment for the gunshot wound, his car was chased by another vehicle which continued to shoot at the victim’s car, officials said.

In the area of Folly Road and Central Park Road, Wilson was struck in the back of the head with a bullet, killing him and causing the car to crash into a pole.

The Charleston County Sheriff’s Office was never able to identify the vehicle, or its occupants, from which the fatal round was fired and Washington was tried only for the shooting at the Kangaroo, Solicitor Wilson said.