Mendes returning to direct 24th Bond film
NEW YORK — Sam Mendes is coming back to direct another James Bond film with Daniel Craig following the enormously successful “Skyfall.”
The British director Mendes had said earlier that “Skyfall” would be his lone entry in the 007 canon, but Bond producers and Sony Pictures announced his return this week.
Mendes recently debuted an adaptation of “Charlie & the Chocolate Factory” in London. He’s also mounting “King Lear” for the National Theatre.
Mendes says in a statement “that by giving me the time I need to honor all my theater commitments, the producers have made it possible for me to direct Bond 24.”
The as-yet-titled Bond film is scheduled to be released in fall 2015. The script is by “Skyfall” screenwriter John Logan.
Rihanna sends $5K to Illinois high school
BARRINGTON, Ill. — Pop star Rihanna is donating $5,000 to a suburban Chicago high school to cover the costs of her brief but tardy visit earlier this year.
Barrington Unit District 220 tells The Daily Herald that the money was sent to offset expenses for security and signs for the musician’s March trip to Barrington High School. The rest of the cash will be allocated for students.
The singer traveled to Chicago’s northwestern suburbs after the school won her “Shine Bright Like a Diamond” video contest. Their five-minute, student-produced film highlighted the school’s volunteer and community service programs.
But fans waited for more than four hours on the first day of the school’s spring break after Rihanna showed up late. While they waited, students got free tickets, CDs and signed merchandise.
Saatchi says he is divorcing Lawson
LONDON — Prominent art collector Charles Saatchi said he is divorcing his celebrity chef wife Nigella Lawson because she did not publicly defend his reputation after images emerged of him grasping her throat in a posh London restaurant.
Tabloid newspapers last month published photos of the incident, which Saatchi described as a “playful tiff” during an intense debate about the couple’s children.
The 70-year-old Saatchi was given a police “caution” after admitting assault.
He told Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper that he was “sorry” to announce he will be divorcing Lawson, adding that they have drifted apart over the past year.
Saatchi, co-founder of the Saatchi & Saatchi ad agency, owns one of London’s biggest private art galleries.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.