Palmetto Pros: Ex-Stratford standout Justin Greene streaking for Class AA Mobile
Former Stratford High School standout Justin Greene continues his good work for Class AA Mobile, going 2 for 4 on Thursday night in the BayBears’ 5-2 win over Pensacola.
Greene is batting .390 over his last 10 games, with three doubles, a triple and, on Monday, a three-run home run. For the season, Greene is hitting .333 with one homer, 17 RBI and 14 stolen bases.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Mariners first baseman Justin Smoak began his minor-league rehab assignment, going 1 for 5 with a an RBI for Class AAA Tacoma. Smoak is coming back from a strained oblique.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston) was 2 for 3 with two walks and a run scored for Class A Bowling Green, and is batting .284.
• John Murrian (Stratford HS, Winthrop) was 0 for 2 with a walk and scored a run for Class A Lakeland, and is batting .172 in 20 games.
In the majors:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island HS, The Citadel) was 1 for 3 with a second-inning single in the Rangers’ 3-1 loss to Toronto, raising his average to .211.
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 2 for 6 and drive in a run in the Orioles’ 5-4 win over Boston, and his batting .242 with 35 RBI.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 2 for 6 and scored a run in the Yankees’ 3-2 loss to Oakland. He’s batting .284 and hit his 15th double in the game.