Palmetto Pros: Ex-Citadel pitcher Asher Wojciechowski wins for Oklahoma City
Asher Wojciechowski put together a third straight strong outing and won for the fifth time this season Tuesday night, getting the victory in Class AAA Oklahoma City’s 8-5 win over Iowa.
The former Citadel pitcher worked 5 2/3 innings and allowed two earned runs on four hits, walking three and striking out seven. The Beaufort native is 5-3 with a 2.80 earned-run average this season, and is 3-2 with a 3.22 ERA since being promoted to Class AAA by the Astros.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball Tuesday:
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 0 for 4 with a strikeout and is batting .329 for Class AA Mobile.
In the majors:
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 0 for 4 in the Orioles’ 3-2 win over the Angels, and is batting .241.
• Michael Kohn (College of Charleston) pitched 1/3 of an inning in the same game, with a strikeout.
• Chris McGuiness (James Island HS, The Citadel) was 0 for 4 in the Rangers’ 5-2 loss to Cleveland, and is batting .167 since being called up last week.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 2 for 5 with a run scored in the Yankees’ 6-4 loss to Oakland. He’s batting .286 and was named the American League player of the week for after going 13 of 25 (.520) with five doubles and a home run in seven games.