Palmetto Pros: Ex-Citadel standout Chris McGuiness gets first MLB hit
When the Rangers called up former Citadel star Chris McGuiness last week, Texas manager Ron Washington said he wanted someone who knew his way around first base.
But McGuiness showed Sunday he knows his way around the batter’s box, too.
The James Island High School product went 2 for 4 and drove in a run in his second Major League Baseball game.
McGuiness’ first MLB hit was an RBI double in the fourth inning of the Rangers’ 6-4 win in Toronto. He drove a pitch from Blue Jays starter Josh Johnson to the wall in left-center field to score David Murphy. McGuiness followed with a single to right in the sixth, and is batting .286 after two MLB games.
The Rangers saved the ball for McGuiness, and shortstop Elvis Andrus gave him the traditional shaving cream face pie during his first post-game TV interview.
For video of McGuiness’ first hit, click here.
McGuiness was a 13th-round pick of the Red Sox in 2009, and was traded to the Rangers in 2010. He was the MVP of the Arizona Fall League in 2012. The Indians obtained him through the Rule 5 draft during the off-season, but sent him back to the Rangers during spring training.
McGuiness was called up from Class AAA Round Rock, and went 0 for 3 in his MLB debut Friday.
The Rangers are at home to the Indians tonight.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 2 for 5 and scored a run in the Orioles’ 10-7 win over the Rays. He hit his 15th double and is batting .239.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 4 for 5 and drove in a run in the Yankees’ 2-1 win over the Mariners. Gardner hit his 14th double and stole his 10th base, and is batting .284 with 27 RBI.
• Michael Kohn (College of Charleston) pitched a scoreless inning in the Angels’ 10-5 loss to the Red Sox, striking out one.
In the minors Sunday:
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 0 for 2 for Class AA Mobile, and is batting .341.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) was tagged with the loss in Class AA Arkansas’ 7-5 loss to Northwest Arkansas. He worked 1 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on thwo hits and two walks with two strikeouts. He’s 2-2 with a 2.70 ERA.
• Marty Gantt (Mount Pleasant, College of Charleston was 0 for 4 and scored a run for Class A Bowling Green, and is batting .280.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) worked one inning for Class A Lynchburg, allowing a run on three hits with a strikeout. He’s 1-1 with a 6.38 ERA and one save.
• Catcher John Murrian (Stratford HS, Winthrop) was 1 for 2 and hit his second home run for Class A Lakeland. He’s batting .169 with eight RBI.