Orioles catcher Matt Wieters hit his sixth home run of the season Wednesday night in Baltimore’s 8-4 loss to San Diego.
Wieters (Stratford High School) hit a solo shot off Padres starter Jason Marquis in the fourth inning, and was 1 for 2 with two walks to raise his average to .237.
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball:
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 2 for 4 and scored a run in the Mariners’ 12-2 win over the Yankees, and is batting .244.
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, Colllege of Charleston) was 1 for 3 and stole his seventh base in the same game, and is batting .255.
In the minors:
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS, Francis Marion) was 0 for 1 and is batting .288 at Class AA Mobile.
• Pitcher Mike Cisco (Wando HS, USC) worked an inning of scoreless relief for Class AA Arkansas, walkingone batter. He hasn’t allowed a run in his last five appearances and is 1-0 with a 2.12 ERA and one save.
• Also, former College of Charleston catcher Rob Kral made news he he hit a home run and two doubles off of Dodgers pitcher Zach Greinke on May 10. Kral also hit another homer in that game and is batting .342 with eight homers and 21 RBi for Class A Lake Elsinore.