Palmetto Pros: Ex-USC star Michael Roth to get first start for Angels
Former South Carolina star pitcher Michael Roth will make his first start in Major League Baseball tonight, against the Texas Rangers.
Los Angeles Angels manager Mike Scioscia made the announcement after his team defeated the visiting Rangers, 5-4, on Tuesday night.
“It’s going to be a staff day, unless Michael Roth goes and gets through six innings,” Scioscia told reporters. “It doesn’t have to be one, but I think we can back him up with some guys if we have to. I think he’s a good candidate, and it gives us more options.”
Roth, a ninth-round pick in 2012, began this season in Class AA. He’s appeared in four games with the Angels, with a 3.60 ERA in five innings.
“I think I’ll be all right,” Roth told reporters. “My last start in Double-A was five innings. I’m just going to go out there inning by inning, as cliché as that sounds. Go out there and have some fun.”
Elsewhere among Lowcountry players in pro baseball Tuesday night:
• First baseman Justin Smoak (Stratford HS) had his second straight two-hit game, going 2 for 4 in the Mariners’ 3-2 loss at Houston. Both hits were singles, leaving Smoak with a .224 average.
• Catcher Matt Wieters (Stratford HS) was 1 for 3 and drove in a run in the Orioles’ 4-3 win over the Blue Jays. He singled to left to score Adam Jones during a four-run second inning, and is batting .215.
• Centerfielder Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 0 for 4 but drove in a run in the Yankee’s 4-3 win over the Rays. Gardner’s ground ball to second scored Ichiro Suzuki in the eighth inning. Gardner is batting .250.
In the minors:
• Catcher John Murrian (Stratford HS) was 2 for 3 with a home run and four RBI against Clearwater. Murrian hit a two-run homer in the first inning, his first of the season, and is batting .176 for Class A Lakeland.
• Pitcher John Cornely (Bishop England HS, Wofford) made his 2013 debut for Class A Lynchburg, striking out one batter in one inning of relief.
• First baseman Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citadel) was 0 for 3 with a strikeout against New Orleans. He’s batting .206 for Class AAA Round Rock.
• Outfielder Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 0 for 1 against Mississippi. He’s batting .200 for Class AA Mobile.