Matt Wieters hit a walk-off grand slam in the 10th inning to lift the Orioles to a 10-6 win over the Tampa Bay Rays on Thursday night, highlighting a big night for Lowcountry players in pro baseball.
Wieters (Stratford High School) was 2 for 5 with four RBI and two runs scored, and is batting .235 with three homers and eight RBI.
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS) was 1 for 4 with two strikeouts in the Mariners’ 2-0 win over Detroit. The first baseman is batting .207
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 6 with two strikeouts in the Yankees’ 6-2 loss to Arizona. The centerfielder is batting .250.
Also, outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. (USC) was demoted to Class AAA Pawtucket by the Red Sox to make room for first baseman David Ortiz. Bradley was batting .097 in 12 games.
In the minors:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island, The Citadel) was 1 for 2 with a double and an RBI in Class AAA Round Rock’s game against Oklahoma City. The first baseman also walked twice and scored two runs, and is batting .235 in 15 games. He was 0 for 3 in the first game of a doubleheader.
•Pitcher Drew Cisco (Wando HS) struck out 12 batters over six innings of Class A Dayton’s 7-2 win over Lake County. Cisco did not figure in the decision, but allowed only five hits and two earned runs while walking none. He’s 1-0 with a 1.89 ERA.
• Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 1 for 5 with a double and an RBI in Class AAA Las Vegas’ game against Sacramento. The second baseman is batting .212 with four RBIs in 12 games.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 0 for 2 in Class AA Mobile’s game against Montgomery. The outfielder is hitting .133 in eight games.
• John Murrian (Stratford HS) was 1 for 4 with a walk and a strikeout in Class A Lakeland’s game against Dunedin. The catcher is batting .148 in nine games.
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.