Baltimore catcher Matt Wieters slugged his second home run of the year Tuesday night as the Orioles beat Tampa Bay, 5-4, in Major League Baseball.
Wieters, the former Stratford High School standout, was 1 for 3 and is now batting .209 for the season.
Here’s how other Lowcountry products in pro baseball fared Tuesday night:
• Brett Gardner (Holly Hill, College of Charleston) was 1 for 5 in the Yankees’ 4-2 win over Arizona. He struck out three times and is batting .240 for the season.
• Justin Smoak (Stratford HS, USC) was 1 for 2 with a walk and a strikeout in Seattle’s 6-2 loss to Detroit. The first baseman is batting .204.
In the minors:
• Chris McGuiness (James Island HS, The Citadel) was 1 for 4 with a double and a strikeout against Oklahoma City. The first baseman is batting .239 for the Rangers’ Class AAA team in Round Rock.
• Reese Havens (Bishop England HS, USC) was 0 for 3 against Sacramento. The second baseman is batting .233 for the Mets’ Class AAA team in Las Vegas.
• Justin Greene (Stratford HS) was 1 for 2 against Montgomery, with a single, an RBI and a stolen base. The outfielder is batting .154 for the Diamondbacks’ Class AA team in Mobile.