NEW YORK — New York’s entertainment industry moved closer to full throttle Monday, as a new week and largely restored downtown power meant something of a return to normalcy for the city’s upended cultural landscape.
While Broadway theaters and midtown TV studios were back in business within about two days of Superstorm Sandy, much of downtown New York — its off-Broadway theaters, independent movie theaters, Lower East Side concert halls and Chelsea galleries — got power back late Saturday.
For the first time, the Office of Film Theatre and Broadcasting began issuing permits on a case-by-case basis for film shoots in exterior locations, meaning the city streets would again be providing background for the two dozen TV series shooting in New York and the dozen-plus movies in production. Permits for location shooting in the city’s Zone A — including Staten Island and parts of Brooklyn — were still not being issued.
“We’re getting back on track and back into business,” said Katherine Oliver, commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment.
Not yet clear was the overall economic impact the storm had on the city’s film and TV industries, which last year employed 130,000 and generated $7.1 billion in revenue, according to the mayor’s office.
Oliver said an estimate for the cost of impacted film and TV production wasn’t yet possible.
The reporting of weekly grosses of Broadway theaters was delayed from Monday until today because of the storm. Many downtown off-Broadway theaters — which were dark for days longer than Broadway theaters — are offering discounted tickets with the code “SANDY” to lure back audiences.
Uptown, Carnegie Hall was forced to continue to cancel performances. Having been shuttered for a week because of the storm-damaged hanging crane on West 57th Street, which caused the closure of streets in the neighborhood, Carnegie Hall announced that today’s concerts would be postponed while work continued to restore utilities in the building.
For many downtown destinations, losing nearly a week’s business was a significant hit. The nonprofit Film Forum, one of the city’s most beloved movie art houses, was essentially closed for six days as it waited to get power back.
“That’s a big loss of business. For us, that hurts. For any theater, that hurts,” said Karen Cooper, president and director of the Film Forum, lamenting not only the loss of box office, but the lesser attention to its currently playing films.
“Saturday Night Live” resumed with host Louis C.K.
In a message to fans Saturday, the actor-comedian said there were considerable challenges in prepping the show during such a week.
“There are kids in the studio every day because members of the crew and staff had to bring them to work,” he wrote.
“Many people are sharing lodging. Everyone is tired. But there’s this feeling here that we’ve got to put on a great show. I’m sure it feels like that here every week. But wow.”
Notice about comments:
The Post and Courier is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point.