Ladson — Charleston County sheriff’s deputies searched a Woodside Manor home Wednesday following the death of an infant boy.

It was not the first time deputies have been to 4537 Outwood Drive regarding an infant and a medical emergency, authorities and Woodside residents said.

Sheriff’s Maj. Jim Brady said deputies responded at 10:13 a.m. to Trident Hospital after being notified of an infant death.

Deputy Coroner Dottie Lindsay said 2-month-old Kayden Melvin was initially brought in unresponsive to Nason Medical Center, then transferred to the hospital.

Lindsay said an autopsy is planned, and said the coroner’s office is not answering questions about how Kayden’s death right now.

“I can’t really discuss anything else,” she said.

While investigators were at the home Wednesday, they searched the property and in the backyard discovered that a puppy had recently been buried.

Brady said the puppy’s death does not appear related to the infant’s death.

He said deputies came to the same address in 2009 after a 6-week-old baby was burned with scalding water.

In that incident, 20-year-old Alexander Perry told deputies he was home alone with his girlfriend’s baby when the baby’s skin started peeling off after a bath in lukewarm water.

A nurse told deputies that the baby had severe burns on a hand and foot that were not consistent with Perry’s story, according to an incident report.

Reports from 2009 said the child was flown to the Augusta Burn Center.

Deputies who probed the incident three years ago searched the home and found multiple marijuana plants growing inside.

Investigators charged Perry and the baby’s mother, 18-year-old Angel Richardson, with manufacturing marijuana and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, because Richardson’s 16-year-old brother lived in the home, deputies said.

Her father, 48-year-old Brian Allen Richardson, also was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

The state Department of Social Services was contacted to take the child into protective custody.

It could not be determined Wednesday night what happened with the child.

Prosecutors later dismissed the charges against the Richardsons, with court records noting that a co-defendant had pleaded guilty to similar charges in the case.

Read more in tomorrow’s Post and Courier.